DepEd-NCR supervises the sixteen (16) Schools Division Offices of the National Capital Region : City of Manila, Quezon City, Caloocan City, Makati City, Pasig City, Mandaluyong City, Marikina City, Taguig City and Pateros, Las Pinas City, Muntinlupa City, Paranaque City, Malabon City, Navotas City, Pasay City, San Juan City, Valenzuela City. As a Regional Office of the Department of Education, it is mandated to ensure access to, equity in, and continuously improve the quality of basic education in the region through policy and direction setting, standard setting and enforcement, partnership building, and networking with stakeholders of education as well as managing the financial, human, and physical resources of the region. It monitors and evaluates learning outcomes, and the implementation of educational programs, projects and activities consistent with national policies for policy review and recommendation.
DepEd-NCR is duty bound to carry out the mission and vision of the Department towards its attainment. Through the leadership of it’s Regional Director, it has the authority, accountability, responsibility on the following mandates as provided by Republic Act No. 9155 and its Implementing Rules and Regulations:
- Defining a regional educational policy framework which reflects the values, needs and expectations of the NCR;
- Developing a regional basic education plan;
- Developing regional educational standards with a view towards bench-marking for international competitiveness;
- Monitoring, evaluating and assessing regional learning outcomes;
- Undertaking research projects and developing and managing region wide projects which may be funded through official development assistance and/or or other funding agencies;
- Ensuring strict compliance with prescribed national criteria for the recruitment, selection and training of all staff in the region and divisions.
- Formulating, in coordination with the regional development council, the budget to support the regional educational plan which shall take into account the educational plans of the divisions and districts;
- Determining the organization component of the divisions and districts and approving the proposed staffing pattern of all employees in the divisions and districts;
- Hiring, placing and evaluating all employees in the regional office, except for the position of assistant director;
- Evaluating all schools division superintendents and assistant division superintendents in the region;
- Planning and managing the effective and efficient use of all personnel, physical and fiscal resources of the regional office, including professional staff development;
- Managing the database and management information system of the region;
- Approving the establishment of public and private elementary and high schools and learning centers; and
- Performing such other functions as may be assigned by proper authorities.